The FS-UNEP Centre’s research covers challenges surrounding finance in the light of the climate crisis. Research areas include
- the role of financial markets for low-carbon and climate-resilient investments;
- impacts of policies and incentives on a macro level on investors’ financing decisions;
- energy and climate policy in emerging and developing countries;
- interaction between different policy instruments and their resilience to external shocks; and
- sustainable finance and scenario analysis for financial decision making.
Our research activities are linked with the actual project implementation. This allows our research team to provide facts-based analysis and relevant practical guidance not only relevant for academia but also public and private decision-makers.
Global Trends in Renewable Energy Investment (GTR) is an annual publication that provides the latest comprehensive information about global investments in renewable energy. The GTR enables a deep dive into trends in global investments in renewable power and fuels, as well as analysis by asset class, technology and geography. The data is presented in the context of the political developments and the wider energy sector. UN Environment, FS-UNEP Collaborating Centre and Bloomberg New Energy Finance jointly publish the report.
The Green Climate Fund (GCF) Monitor reviews the progress of the Green Climate Fund’s efforts to respond to the challenge of climate change. Each issue analyses and briefly describes a unique topic selected because of its high importance at the recent Board meeting or other relevant event. The monitor analyses data provided on the GCF website and builds on existing literature.