Technical Assistance Facility SE4ALL in West and Central Africa
The European Commission has responded to SE4All through a number of complementary initiatives, including the Technical Assistance Programme in West and Central Africa. The EU supports the SE4ALL objectives of ensure universal access to modern energy services, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency, double the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix; and places a strong emphasis on Sub-Saharan Africa with the aim to meet the “Energizing Development” goal of providing access to sustainable energy services to 500 million people by 2030. SE4ALL is consistent with the EU’s new development policy Agenda for Change that sets energy as a key driver for inclusive growth.
The programme, structured as a framework contract with bi-monthly call for field missions, aims to increase the institutional and technical capacity of the target countries in developing investment friendly, attractive, sustainable and transparent policies and regulatory frameworks, provide enabling structures to increase public and private investments in energy access, supply, renewable energy and energy efficiency and to accelerate the implementation of investment projects in the above mentioned areas. The programme includes activities under the five areas below:
1) Initial stocktaking and establishing national energy sector policies;
2) Capacity building in policy regulatory framework;
3) Technical support in programming and preparation of projects;
4) Mobilisation of funds and facility of partnerships with particular emphasis on the private sector;
5) Industrial and technology cooperation.
The Centre has provided the team of long term experts with one key expert and support the consortium in:
- Energy efficiency and renewable investments
- Design of private sector attractive regulatory frameworks
- Investment structuring for public sector electricity, rural electrification and sustainable energy master plans
- Technology transfer, industrial and technical cooperation
On the other hand, the Centre is bringing its development finance expertise in the fields of:
- Outline a package of capacity building needs, gap analysis, conduct of trainings
- Advisory in investment frameworks and business model development for private sector investors in RE/EE
- Funds mobilisation, attribution and project
For further information on SE4ALL please refer to to the following Europaid website.