Frankfurt School - UNEP Collaborating Centre for Climate & Sustainable Energy Finance (the Centre) is a strategic cooperation between the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management (Frankfurt School) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
Both partners recognise that – for decades to come – climate change will pose a fundamental challenge to the world economy and the financial industry in particular.
About the Centre
The Frankfurt School – UNEP Collaborating Centre for Climate & Sustainable Energy Finance (Centre) is committed to facilitating the necessary structural change of energy supply and use around the globe by helping to catalyse private sector capital flow towards investments in sustainable energy and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
The Centre combines project implementation on the ground with think tank activities. Its work is cutting edge: the team of experts experiments with new financial mechanisms and implements cutting edge projects, informs policy development and changes the way the financial industry operates. The primary objective is to mobilise significantly increased levels of sustainable energy and climate finance, bridging the public-private sector gap and thereby contributing to the development of a global green economy. Together with partners in different institutions, the Centre is elaborating and field-testing new financial instruments, products and services that serve the growing markets for energy efficient and clean energy production. By implementing and recording findings and instruments in the field where they are most effective, the Centre maximises its knowledge base to become a leading think-and-do tank.
- Capacity Building for MFIs in Ethiopia and Nepal with Focus on Climate Finance
- Climate Finance Innovation Facility CFIF
- Finance for Access to Clean Energy Technologies in South and South East Asia FACET
- Microfinance for Ecosystem-based-Adaptation to Climate Change MEbA
- Research Component for the IDRC – CTI PFAN Adaptation Stream Scale-Up Programme (“Scale-Up Programme”)
- Shifting Private Finance Towards Climate-Friendly Investments